Abt 1822 - Yes, date unknown
||John Carlin [4, 5] |
||Canada [5, 6]
||Yes, date unknown
||20 May 2006 |
||Mary Jane, b. 1828, Pennsylvania , d. Yes, date unknown |
| ||1. Charles Carlin, b. 1849, Maryland or Mississippi , d. Yes, date unknown|
|+||2. Katherine Carlin, "Kate", b. 1851, Maryland or Mississippi , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||3. George Carlin, b. 1852, Ohio , d. Yes, date unknown|
|+||4. William Carlin, b. 1855, Pennsylvania , d. Yes, date unknown|
|+||5. Mary C. Carlin, b. 1857, Pennsylvania , d. Abt 1939, New Jersey (Age 82 years)|
|+||6. John William Carlin, b. 24 Aug 1864, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA , d. 6 Sep 1920, Clayton, NJ (Age 56 years)|
| ||7. Edwin Carlin, b. 1865, PA , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||8. Ellen Carlin, b. 1867, PA , d. Yes, date unknown|
||20 May 2006 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
|Born - Abt 1822 - Canada
||John Carlin family - 1870 Census|
1870 Census enumerated 5 July, 1870, 50th district, Philadelphia County, PA. Philadelphia post office.
John Carlin, 48, Morocco Dresser, b. Canada <1822>
J. Mary, 42, keeping house, b. PA <1828>
Charles, 21, compositor, Mississippi <1849>
Kate, 19, at home, Mississippi <1851> (I have 1851)
George, 18, Morocco Dresser, Ohio <1852>
William, 16, errand boy, b. PA <1854>
Mary, 13, at school, b. PA <1857> (I have cir 1861)
John, 9, at school, b. PA <1861> (I have 1864)
Edwin, 5, b. PA <1865>
Ellen, 3, b. PA <1867>
||John Carlin family - 1860 Census|
Enumerated 14 June, 1860, Eastern part of the 17th Ward, Philadelphia county, PA p.93
John Carlin, 36, Morocco Dresser, b. Canada <1824>
Mary Jane, 30, b. PA <1830>
Charles M., 11, b. Maryland <1849>
Catharine, 9, b. Maryland <1851> (I have 1851)
George, 8, b. Ohio <1852> (first we know of him)
William, 5, b. Pennsylvania <1855> (I have name but no b. date)
Mary C. 3, b. PA <1857> (I have cir 1861)
Sarah Zeller, 60, b. PA <1800> (first we know of her)
- Born in Canada- "mother tongue Irish" Occupation "Morocco Dresser"
There is not much evidence to say this John Carlin and his family is indeed "ours" - but the evidence is compelling enough to tentatively conclude that they are - for now.
The link to this family is bsed on the somewhat unusual fact that this John Carlin, living in Philadelphia, indicated in both the 1860 and 1870 U.S. Census that he was born in Canada. This fact is supported independently for Census listings in 1920 (that we are certain are ours) for his children showing their father was born in Canada. For example, the 1920 Census listing for John William Carlin, age 56, by then living in New Jersey with his second wife "Ray" and son William indicates that John W.'s father was born in Canada, "mother tongue Irish", mother born PA.
Further evidence is obtained by comparing the names and ages of the John Carlin family in 1860 and 1870 with the birth dates that we independently have obtained for the children. We already are aware of four Carlin siblings:
1. Kate/Catherine is the eldest daughter, and she appears on both the 1860 and 1870 Census. Her birth year of 1851 exactly matches. The 1860 census indicates born Maryland, 1870 indicates b. Mississippi. (this birth location discrepancy also happens with Charles - see below)
2. Mary C.'s name and initial appears but with a discrepancy in her age. We had her age b. cir 1861 based on the 1920 census where she appears as Mary C. Heatherlin, aunt, living with her nephew W. R. Boyer and family. In the 1860 and 1870 census her birth year is 1857. The fact that she 'grew a few years younger' as she aged is not all that unusual in the census reports of the time.
3. John William Carlin we had as born 1864 does not appear in the 1860 census (correct), but shows born 1861 in the 1870 census. This discrepancy although explanations can be found, is one of the strongest cause for doubt that the 1860 and 1870 families are ours.
4. William Carlin appears b. cir 1854 in both 1860 and 1870 census', we had no b. date for him.
New children are introduced to us in the 1860 and 1870 Census as follows:
Charles M. b. 1849, in Maryland in the 1860 census, in Misissippi in the 1870.
George b. 1852 in Ohio.
Edwin b. 1865 in PA
Ellen b. 1867 in PA.
A bit curious that nothing has appeared previously on them, so a negative indicator that this family is ours.
One last thing we learn is John's wife, J. Mary (1870 census), or Mary Jane (1860 census), was born in PA. John W. Carlin in 1920 indicated his mother was born in PA.
- [S2] JSH Feb 13 2003 gedcom, John S. Howell, Jr.
- [S941] Richard T. Rhoads, Jr.
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ email@example.com).
- [S977] 1860 U.S. Census, John Carlin, 36, Morocco Dresser, b. Canada <1824> (Reliability: 0).
- [S690] 1870 U.S. Census, John Carlin, 48, Morocco Dresser, b. Canada <1822> -- 1870 Census enumerated 5 July, 1870, 50th district, Philadelphia County, PA. Philadelphia post office. (Reliability: 0).
- [S864] 1900 U.S. Census, Philadelphia, PA 4 Jun 1900 Census district 537, Ward 23 of City (Reliability: 0).