1808 - 1893 (85 years)
||Betsy Cherry [4, 6] |
||22 Apr 1808
||New Haven, Oswego County, N.Y. [4, 7]
|Her age given on the 1881 Canadian Census would indicate she was born |
||7 Aug 1892
||Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada 
||7 Aug 1893
||Chatham, Ontario 
||Maple Leaf Cemetery, Chatham, Ontario 
||30 Sep 2009 |
||Samuel Cherry, Jr., b. 10 Oct 1779, New Hampshire, USA , d. Oct 1823, Belleville, ON, Canada (Age 44 years) |
||Abigail Delano, b. 10 May 1785, prob. Hartford, VT , d. 6 Apr 1871, Utica, OH (Age 85 years) |
||New York 
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||William Spencer, b. Abt 1804, Matlock, Derbyshire, England , d. Sep 1846, Chatham, Ontario (Age ~ 42 years) |
||Belleville, ON, Canada [4, 11, 12]
|+||1. Adelaide Spencer, b. 22 Feb 1833, d. 9 Mar 1871 (Age 38 years)|
| ||2. William Spencer, d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||3. Timothy Spencer, d. Yes, date unknown|
|+||4. Mary A. Spencer, d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||5. Abigail Spencer|
| ||6. Samuel Spencer, b. Feb 1846, d. 22 Dec 1846 (Age ~ 0 years)|
||30 Sep 2009 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
|Born - 22 Apr 1808 - New Haven, Oswego County, N.Y.
|Married - Abt 1829 - Belleville, ON, Canada
|Alt. Death - 7 Aug 1892 - Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada
|Died - 7 Aug 1893 - Chatham, Ontario
|Buried - - Maple Leaf Cemetery, Chatham, Ontario
||S.C. Spring Column And Cornice 8-day Weight Clock|
This heirloom made cir. 1864 belonging to Peter Stone Howell, has penciled service notations inside such as "3.10.1892 - Cleaned, Mrs. Spencer Stone" (Flora Maude Campbell Stone 1872-1969). Another notation refers to just "Mrs. Spencer" - likely referring to Betsy Cherry (1908-1893) who married William Spencer (1804-1846). Betsy Cherry Spencer outlived her daughter Adelaide Spencer and raised her grandson, Spencer Stone from age 2.
Clock information: Regulator Strike, Extra Eight Day, Rolling Pinton, Brass Clocks, Manufactured by
S.C. Spring, Bristol Conn "Warranted if well used."
Solomon C. Spring was born on January 29th, 1826 in Granby, Connecticut. Early in his life, he was employed in the clock shop of Silas Burnham Terry. Spring then moved to Bristol, Connecticut where he worked as a clockmaker for the Rev. Irenus Atkins owner of the Atkins Clock Company. In 1864, at the age of 38, he bought the land and buildings of the old Birge, Peck and Company (clock makers) in Bristol and renamed it the S.C. SPRING CLOCK COMPANY. The company never issued a catalogue so its hard to know how many styles they made. Most of their clocks were sold to other clock manufacturers, so to find one with the S.C. Spring label in the case is a wonderful "find" indeed !!! Spring retired in 1895 and died in 1906 after producing some excellent and very attractive clocks.
- From the 1871 census information, we might surmise that Betsy Cherry was living in her son in law's house helping him raise her grandchildren after her daughter Adelaide's death (which was in 1871 - the same year as the census). 
- [S2] JSH Feb 13 2003 gedcom, John S. Howell, Jr.
- [S418] JSH, Jr.
- [S643] 1871 Canadian Census, Appears as Betsy Spencer age 70 (Reliability: 3).
From the 1871 census information, we might surmise that Betsy Cherry was living in her son in law's house helping him raise her grandchildren after her daughter Adelaide's death (which was in 1871 - the same year as the census).
Name Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation Religion
Thomas STONE W Male English 54 O Merchant Presbyterian
Maggie STONE Female Irish 19 O Presbyterian
Fred'd STONE Male Irish 15 O Presbyterian
Adelaide STONE Female Irish 13 O Presbyterian
Spencer STONE Male Irish 11 O Presbyterian
Betsey SPENCER Female 70 USA Presbyterian
Julis ALEXANDER Female French 20 O Catholic
- [S791] Maggie Stone's Delano to Stone History, Margaret Stone (1851-1958), (Aug. 1931 http://www.jhowell.com/pics/LannoyByMargaretStoneLowRes.pdf).
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ email@example.com).
- [S1417] Nellie Smith Rymal, Nellie Smith Rymal, (Placerville, CA 1940 - copies provided by Cherry Dolezal), 1940 letter - copy provided by Cherry Dolezal via email 14 March, 2007 (Reliability: 0).
- [S622] 1881 Canadian Census, (1881) (Reliability: 3).
Place: Chatham Town
Given Name: Betsey
Birthplace: United States
- [S626] CBR, J.H. Beers with index compiled by Helen Blackburn, (Pub. 1904), REF 920 Com Desk., p. 49 (Reliability: 3).
- [S967] OCFA - Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid, (Copyright (C), 2000 Ron Demaray.
http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/about.html), Prob. - SPENCER Betsy Maple Leaf, Chatham Kent Chatham KT- (Reliability: 0).
- [S659] Bradfield, John R. Bradfield, (May 1979 -- http://www.jhowell.com/pics/JRBradfieldDelanoLine.pdf).
- [S653] Elayne Pair Gibbons, Elayne Pair Gibbons, (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&db=egibbons&surname=Cherry%2C+Stephen - firstname.lastname@example.org), http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=egibbons&id=I30203 (Reliability: 3).
- [S1417] Nellie Smith Rymal, Nellie Smith Rymal, (Placerville, CA 1940 - copies provided by Cherry Dolezal), 1940 letter notes: "Betsy, married a Wm. Spencer and lived in Chatham, Canada when last known of. I thiink it was her home where Grandpa died, but he was buried in New Lisbon, Wis." (Reliability: 0).
- [S643] 1871 Canadian Census.