1893 - 1916 (23 years)
||William Stewart McKeough [4, 5, 6] |
||2 Sep 1893
||Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada [5, 7]
||15 Sep 1916
||Courcelette in "The Battle of the Somme - WWI" [5, 7]
||France (location unknown) 
||25 Nov 2016 |
||William Edward McKeough, b. 12 Feb 1860, Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada , d. 3 Dec 1929 (Age 69 years) |
||Mabel Annie Stewart, b. 27 Apr 1872, Hamilton, , Ontario, Canada , d. 5 Jul 1946, Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada (Age 74 years) |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
|Born - 2 Sep 1893 - Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada
- From: War Diary of the 18th Battalion CEF
"Son of W. E. and M. A. McKeough, of 371, King St. West, Chatham, Ontario. b.Chatham; ed. McKeough P.S. and Chatham C.I.; University College 1910-1912, Medicine 1912-1914; Delta Kappa Epsilon; Manager,Third hockey team; Medical Athletic executive; Track team 1912-1914, First colours and captain 1914; Intercollegiate high jump record; Athletic directorate 1914-15; 24th Regt.,Lieut. In the fall of 1914 he was appointed to the 18th Battalion and went overseas in April,1915. Reaching France in September he served through the autumn and winter on the front south of Ypres. He was promoted captain in January,1916, and Major in July. At St.Eloi he distinguished himself by his bravery in bringing in the wounded after the unsuccessful attack on Crater 3. On the morning of the battle of Courcelette his battalion, despite heavy casualties, took part in the capture of the Sugar Refinery, and he was killed in action as he reached the German parapet when leading his company in the attack."
Excerpt from his letter on War diary of the 18th Battalion CEF:
"I was fortunate one night in locating a grand Louis quatorge canopied feather bed, while the following night caught a good four hours' sleep on a bundle of straw in a manger with a noisy young calf, having to pull out at 2:30 a.m. in the pouring rain to go into the trenches. Such is this life." [6, 9]
- [S2] JSH Feb 13 2003 gedcom, John S. Howell, Jr.
- [S468] Darcy McKeough, W. Darcy McKeough.
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org).
- [S468] Darcy McKeough, W. Darcy McKeough, Chart pages included with letter to John S. Howell, Jr. dated 25 Feb, 2003. (Reliability: 3).
- [S468] Darcy McKeough, W. Darcy McKeough, 20 Nov 2003 Letter to JSHJr & Charts (Reliability: 0).
- [S1679] War Diary of the 18th Battalion CEF, (https://18thbattalioncef.wordpress.com/honour-roll-of-the-18th-battalion/mckeough-william-stewart-service-no-lt/), https://18thbattalioncef.wordpress.com/honour-roll-of-the-18th-battalion/mckeough-william-stewart-service-no-lt/ (Reliability: 3).
- [S468] Darcy McKeough, W. Darcy McKeough, Chart enclosed with 24 Sep 2004 letter to JSHJr. (Reliability: 0).
- [S468] Darcy McKeough, W. Darcy McKeough, Letter dated Feb 28, 2003 to JSHJr. - Tree #1 McKeough (Reliability: 0).
- [S1678] Eric Edwards, email to JSH 19 Jul 2014 (Reliability: 3).