Abt 1815 - 1872 (~ 57 years)
||Jacob Boyer [2, 3] |
||Rowlandville, Philadelphia Co., Pennsylvania [4, 5, 6]
||Bristol Twp., Philadelphia Co, PA 
|Saw Grinder |
||Philadelphia County, PA 
||Olney, PA [2, 6]
||6 Feb 2011 |
||John Boyer, "Revolutionary War", b. Abt 1750, Oley Twp. Berks Co, PA , d. 12 Nov 1814, Bristol Twp., Philadelphia Co, PA (Age ~ 64 years) |
||Mary Smith, d. 19 Oct 1834, Germantown, PA |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Unknown, d. Bef 1850 |
- According to WRBJr "George Washington Boyer (Sr.) had only half brothers and half sisters.". So based on what we know so far Jacob Boyer must have had at least two wives. George W. Boyer Sr.was the only child with the first wife, whose name is still unknown to us. When George was 2 years old he appears in the census of 1850 but even at this early age there is no record of his mother. We can only guess what happened to her - at this time death from childbirth or disease was common. 
|+||1. George Washington Boyer, b. Feb 1848, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA , d. Jan 1926, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA (Age ~ 77 years)|
||20 May 2006 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Margaret Merion, b. Abt 1829, Pennsylvania , d. Yes, date unknown |
- The 1850 census shows that Margaret Merion, age 21 is living in the household of Jacob Boyer, along with George Boyer, age 2, and two others named John and Elizabeth Butler (no known relation). Jacob's wife in future census' (including 1860 and 1870) is named Margaret, and the ages mach Margaret Merion's age in the 1850 census - so it is on this basis that we conclude for now that Margaret Boyer was Margaret Merion before her marriage to Jacob Boyer sometime between the 1850 census and the birth of her first child cir 1851.
A fascinating glimpse at family life is provided in the 1870 census which shows the children in the family - even Lizze, age 13 - as "Works in Wollen Mill". Bill Boyer thinks perhaps this was Whitaker's Mill in the Olney section of Philadelphia. 
| ||1. Anna Boyer, "Annie", b. Abt 1851, Pennsylvania , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||2. Sarah Boyer, "Sallie", b. Abt 1853, Pennsylvania , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||3. Elizabeth Boyer, "Lizzie", b. Abt 1857, Pennsylvania , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||4. Jacob Boyer, b. 1859, Pennsylvania , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||5. Henry Boyer, b. Abt 1862, d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||6. John Boyer, b. Abt 1865, d. Abt 1933 (Age ~ 68 years)|
| ||7. Aldelbert Boyer, "Del", b. Abt 1867, d. Yes, date unknown|
|+||8. Aleah Boyer, "Leah", b. Oct 1869, Pennsylvania , d. Abt 1932 (Age ~ 62 years)|
|+||9. Brunner H. Boyer, b. Abt 1872, d. Aft 1920 (Age ~ 49 years)|
||30 Nov 2005 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||1850 Census - Jacob Boyer Family|
1850 Census image, Bristol Township in the County of Philadelphia.
Dwelling number 318, Family number 320.
Enumerated 28 August, 1850
(Bristol Twp., Philadelphia County, was located just east of Germantown. The present day neighborhoods of East and West Oak Lane, Fern Rock and Logan are where the old Bristol Township was.)
Persons listed as being in the same "family" were (order below is same as census order):
Jacob Boyer, age 34, Saw grinder, born PA, "married within the year" not indicated.
George Boyer, age 2, born PA
Margaret Merion, age 21, born PA, "married within the year" not indicated.
John Butler, age 32, Saw grinder, Born Ireland
Elizabeth Butler, age 30, born England
||1860 Census - Jacob Boyer family|
P. 17 1st district, 22nd Ward, Philadelphia County, PA
Enumerated 8 Jun 1860, Post office: "Germantn"
All born in PA
Jacob Boyer, 42, Laborer
Jacob, 9 months
||1870 Census (1st enumeration) Jacob Boyer Family|
1870 Census - Philadelphia County, Ward 22, District 71 Germantown Post Office. Enumerated 14 July 1870
Jacob Boyer, age 55, Laborer, both parents born in USA, born PA, male citizen of US 21 or over
Margaret, age 41, both parents born in USA, born PA
George, age 23, Gardener, born PA, male citizen of US 21 or over.
Annie, age 19, Works in wollen mill, born in PA
Sallie, age 17, Works in wollen mill, born in PA
Lizzie, age 13, Works in wollen mill, born in PA
Jacob, age 11, born in PA, attended school within the year
Henry, age 8, born in PA, attended school within the year
John, age 5, born in PA
Delbert, age 3, born in PA
Aleah, age 9 months, born in PA, born within the past year in October.
||1870 Census (2nd Enumeration) Jacob Boyer Family|
Page 6, 71 District, Philadelphia County, PA
"Fishers Lane" appears at top of page. No enumeration date or other details on individuals provided.
Jacob Boyer, age 55, Farmer
Marguerite, age 41
George, age 22, Farmer
Annie, age 19
Sarah, age 18
Elizabeth, age 13
Jacob Jr., age 11
Henry, age 8
John, age 6
Aldelbert, age 4
Leah, age 1
- Notes from American Boyers (1915) p. 174: "c (10) Jacob Boyer, son of John Boyer and Mary Smith, was born 1813 at Rowlandville (now part of Phila.,Pa., and died in Olney, Pa., 1872. Married a Quakeress, Elizabeth Merion. The children were George W., Jacob, John, Adelbert, Henry, Bruner, Ann, Sarah, Elizabeth, and Leah."
JSHJr notes: There is something amiss wtih the American Boyer 1915 statement.... Jacob Boyer b. 1813 as the youngest child would mean he was 41 years younger than his older brother Gabriel b. 1772. Jacob is also born within one year of his father's death - according to the dates we have. So either the dates are wrong, or we are missing a generation, or....
Notes from "American Boyers" p. 639:
"4 - AG171 Jacob Boyer, b. 1813, at Rowlandville, now a part of Philadelphia, PA, d. 1872 in Olney, PA. Married Elizabeth Merion a Quakeress."
I can't find any documentation to support that this Jacob was married twice. We do have what was recounted to Wilbur R. Boyer Jr. who remembers from verbal accounts from his father that George Washington Boyer, Sr. had seven half brothers and sisters. This number does reconcile exactly with 1880 census data which by that time shows Margaret as a widow and the seven children being 1) Annie, 26, daughter, Works in Wollen Mill, 2) Sarah, 24, daughter, Works in Wollen Mill. 3) Elizabeth, 22. daughter, Works in Wollen Mill, 4) John, 14, son, Works in Wollen Mill, 5) Delbert, 12, son, Works in Wollen Mill, 6) Leah, 10, daughter, at school, 7) Brunner, 8, son.
In the 1850 census Margaret Merion appears (age 21) living in the same household with Jacob Boyer (34), George Boyer (2), and another couple named John and Elizabeth Butler. For now we are making the assumption that this Margaret Merion is the same Margaret that becomes Jacob's wife based on the ages shown in the census - but it may be that Jacob's wife is not Margaret Merion, but another Margaret.
The 1850 census implies that Jacob was 32 when George W. Boyer was born, making it plausible that Jacob may have been married to someone else before Margaret. [13, 14]
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ email@example.com).
- [S690] 1870 U.S. Census, 22 Ward, P135, Germantown, Philadelphia, PA - age 55 (Reliability: 0).
- [S977] 1860 U.S. Census, "Jacob Boyer, age 42", Philadelphia County, Ward 22, District 1, p17, enumerated 8 June, 1860 (Reliability: 0).
- [S690] 1870 U.S. Census, 22 Ward, P135, Germantown, Philadelphia, PA - age 55. implies b 1815 (Reliability: 0).
- [S689] 1850 U.S. Census, age 34 - implies b. cir 1816 (Reliability: 0).
- [S1357] American Boyers, Donald Arthur Boyer, Historian, (7th Edition, Published 1984, 990 East Philadelphia Street, York, PA 17403), p. 639 "AG171 Jacob Boyer b. 1813, at Rowlandville, PA, d. 1872, Olney, PA" (Reliability: 0).
- [S689] 1850 U.S. Census, Bristol Twp, Philadelphia Co., PA (Reliability: 0).
- [S689] 1850 U.S. Census, Saw grinder (Reliability: 0).
- [S977] 1860 U.S. Census, "Laborer" Philadelphia County, Ward 22, District 1, p17, enumerated 8 June, 1860 (Reliability: 0).
- [S690] 1870 U.S. Census, 22 Ward, P135, Germantown, Philadelphia, PA - age 55, Laborer (Reliability: 0).
- [S8] WR Boyer, 5 sep 2003 (Reliability: 0).
- [S8] WR Boyer, Conversation 25 Nov 2005. (Reliability: 0).
- [S8] WR Boyer, interview (Reliability: 0).
- [S563] Wendy HINSDALE Smythe, interview 28 Apr 2004 reunion (Reliability: 0).