1913 - 2009 (95 years)
||Daniel Whiting Lathrop  |
||10 Oct 1913
||Dunkirk, New York 
||20 May 2009
||Ontario, Canada 
||3 Jun 2009 |
- Obituary: Died peacefully at his home, on May 20, 2009 at the age of 95. Predeceased by his wife Margaret Helen Davison-Lathrop (January 2009). Survived by his children: Margot Helen Brebner, Mississauga, Ont., Harold Doran Lathrop, Welland, Ont., John Howland Lathrop, Upper LaHave, Nova Scotia, G. Edward (Ned) Lathrop, Ottawa, Ont., and Anna Hildegarde Lathrop, Effingham, Ont. Whiting leaves 12 grandchildren, 7 great-grandchildren and his sister Leah Lathrop Walls (b. 1919) of Colorado.
Born in 1913 in Dunkirk, New York, Whiting's family moved to Welland, Ont., in 1923. He graduated from the University of Toronto (B.Sc., metallurgy, 1938) and worked for Thompson Products (1939) and Union Carbide (1940-1950). He became Director of Atlas Steel, Welland, in 1948 and President of Welland Electric Steel in 1953. In 1959 he formed Beamer-Lathrop Construction, and retired in 1968.
Whiting served on the Board of Governors at St. Andrew's College, Aurora. He also served on the Board of Governors/Board of Trustees at Brock University, St. Catharines (1965-1974).
A legendary golfer, he was a member of the Lookout Point Golf and Country Club (Fonthill) since 1923. An outdoor sports enthusiast, his passion for the preservation of wilderness led him to gift 70 acres in Pelham (1998)-- identified at the Lathrop Nature Preserve-- to the Nature Conservancy of Canada.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Canadian Cancer Society, the Nature Conservancy of Canada or Brock University.
The memorial service will be conducted at St. David's Anglican Church, 369 Thorold Rd., Welland, Ont., on Saturday June 6th 2009 at 2:00 pm. The family expresses particular thanks to Dr. Joanna Hope, Colleen O'Gorman, and the members of the ParaMed palliative care unit of Niagara.
James L. Pedlar Funeral Home in charge of funeral arrangements (905-892-5762)
Online condolences may be forwarded through www.pedlarfuneralhome.ca 
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ email@example.com).
- [S957] Stuart Davison, (correspondence with John S. Howell, Jr.), 4 Jun 2004 email to JSHJr (Reliability: 0).
- [S1210] Charles Donald Davison's Tree, Charles Donald Davison, (Copy of tree provided to John Howell by Stuart Davison upon our visit at his home on 23 Jul 2005.), Section "D" (Reliability: 0).
- [S1218] Hal Lathrop, (Welland, Ontario, Canada), Obituary sent to JSH on file. (Reliability: 0).
- [S1537] Pedlar Funeral Home, http://pedlarfuneralhome.ca/obit.php?decedid=877 (Reliability: 0).