1635 - 1708 (73 years)
||Thomas Lane [2, 3] |
||Surrey County, Virginia [3, 4]
||13 Feb 2017 |
||Layne - Lain - Lane Genealogy|
Excerpts from of the genealogy compiled by Floyd Benjamin Lane. From Chapter K - The descendants of Thomas Lane of Surry Co., Virgina. Re: Mary Lane married Matthew Howell (8mb pdf)
- Floyd Benjamin Layne (Layne - Lain - Lane Genealogy) notes:
1. "b. 1635; d 1708 in Surrey Co, VA; m Surrey Co 1661 Elizabeth Jones, a widow with one daughter named Elizabeth; in connection with this marriage, Thomas agreed that the daughter Elizabeth aforesaid, would have, when she came of age or married, the plantation which was called 'Sheepheards' and was the property of her deceased father, and she to have also a personal estate of 1000 pounds of tobacco, etc - said marriage agreement witnessed by George Harrison and Wm Howe and recorded in Book 1, page 184 of Surry County, Virginia records"
2. "Surry County Records, Book 1, page 380: Thomas Lane on 3 Jan 1670 made a deposition, etc, giving his age as 36 (so he must have been born in 1635)."
3. "Surry County Records, Book 2, page 60: A deposition by Thomas Lane on 1 Feb 1674 in which he gives his age as 39 and wherein he agrees to act with John Price (age 24) to appraise the estate of Thomas Taylor; sworn before Captain Charles Barham. The were "to meet at Mr. Arthur Long's house" but when they got there, the deputy sheriff, John Sellway, had gone to Austin Honecutt's house, etc., (it establishes the fact that Thomas was 26 years of age when he married 'Widow Elizabeth Jones.')"
4. " 'List of Emigrants to Virginia' by Hottens: Under date 16 Feb 1623 appears a Thomas Lane of Elizabeth Cittye County."
5. " 'Adventures of Purse & Person" by Hiden, page 58: The Muster of Mr. Edward Waters, Elizabeth City County, 1624 shows"
a) "Thomas Lane, age 30, who came to Virginia in 'The Treasurer' in 1613" .... "This Thomas Lane could be the father of the Thomas Lane aforesaid, who married the widow, Elizabeth Jones.)"
b) "an Alice Lane, age 24, who came to Virginia in the 'Bona Nova' in 1620"
6. "Surry County, Virginia, Grant Book 7, page 184: Thomas Lane, in the year 1682, was granted 400 acres on Lawne's Creek (see map)." ed: map included in the Lane PDF (p. 250) included in the Histories section of jhowell.com
7. "Surry County, Virginai, Wills-State Library, Virginia, Book 5, page 440: 1708, the Will of Thomas Lane of the County of Surry, dated 5 Jan 1708, probated 2 Jan 1709, a very short will -- 'Being in good health etc., my land to be divided equally between my two sons Thomas and Joseph Lane and my said sons to be my executors, etc..' -- witness: William Holt, William Benson, Edward Petteway. (This Thomas Lane must have been the son of Thomas Lane, emigrant, born 1594, and the same who married Elizabeth Jones, widow.)"
Heather Bowers notes:
"1. Thomas LANE Sr. was born about 1634 in , (VA/England). He died on 3 Jan 1709 in , Surry Co., Va and was buried about 1709 in , Surry Co., Va., Will proved.
In a Land Deed signed by his son Joseph LANE Sr, it states that:
"Deed from Joseph Lane and Julian his wife of Isle of Wight County, Sept. 4, 1710, to Thomas Lane, of Surrey County 200 acres given me by my father (Thomas Lane, patent 1682) in his last will and testament (father Thomas Lane, patent 1682).
(Ielian) Julian Lane
Sealed in red wax.
Wit: Thomas Hart, Mary Hart, Thomas Lane Jr.
The witnesses Thomas and Mary Hart were the son in-law and daughter of Richard & Eliz. Washington - his will Nov. 9, 1724, Surrey Co." (Ref. Surrey County Deed Book 5, page 37) This can be found on Microfilm at the Family History Center called" General History of the LANES of NC and GA."
There are some refrences that state Thomas LANE SR. was the son of John LANE who married the daughter of Robert BIRD, John had sons Robert, Thomas and John, however more research needs to be done.
He was married to Elizabeth JONES (she was previously married to a Mr. JONES, they had a daughter named Elizabeth JONES) about 1661 in , VA. [6, 7]
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org).
- [S1368] Lane ( Layne-Lain) Genealogy, Floyd Benjamin Layne, (Compiled and Published by Floyd Benjamin Layne, Los Angeles, California. Printed 1962 by The Bookman Press, Los Angeles, California U.S.A. Available online: http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/BookList.aspx?dbid=11937), p. 247 (Reliability: 0).
- [S1376] Clark Johnson Tree rc'd June 2006, Forrest Clark Johnson, III, (LaGrange, GA), "Thomas Lane b. 1634, d. 1708 = 1667 Elizabeth Jones" (Reliability: 0).
- [S1368] Lane ( Layne-Lain) Genealogy, Floyd Benjamin Layne, (Compiled and Published by Floyd Benjamin Layne, Los Angeles, California. Printed 1962 by The Bookman Press, Los Angeles, California U.S.A. Available online: http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/BookList.aspx?dbid=11937), p. 247 "1708; Surrey County, VA" (Reliability: 0).
- [S1339] John Martin Knight, John Martin Knight, (RootsWeb: http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=txgentracker), http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=txgentracker&id=I4888 (Reliability: 0).
- [S1368] Lane ( Layne-Lain) Genealogy, Floyd Benjamin Layne, (Compiled and Published by Floyd Benjamin Layne, Los Angeles, California. Printed 1962 by The Bookman Press, Los Angeles, California U.S.A. Available online: http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/BookList.aspx?dbid=11937).
- [S1340] Heather W. Bowers, Heather W. Bowers, (http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~bowers/lane/thomasl.htm - email@example.com).