1863 - 1931 (68 years)
||John Johnson Howell [3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8] |
||29 Apr 1863
||prob. White Plains, Greene, GA [4, 6, 7, 8]
||6 Jan 1920
||Cuthbert, Randolph Co., GA
|by 1902 |
||Newspaper Editor |
||11 Aug 1931
||Cuthbert, Randolph Co., GA [4, 9]
||White Plains Baptist Church Cemetery, White Plains, Greene Co., GA 
||7 Feb 2017 |
||Dr. John Mckinney Howell, CSA, b. 13 Aug 1833, Houston Co., Georgia , d. 3 May 1889, Americus, Sumter County, GA (Age 55 years) |
||Emma Berrien Heard, b. 22 Apr 1841, Augusta, Richmond, Georgia, USA , d. 3 May 1918, Cuthbert, Randolph Co., GA (Age 77 years) |
||20 Dec 1859
||Augusta, Richmond, Georgia, USA [11, 12]
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Bed belonging to John & Emma Howell, 1859.|
This is the bed that belonged to John McKinney Howell and Emma Berrien Heard Howell where all nine of their children were born. Photo taken at the home of Betty Howell Traver, Greensboro, Georgia in 2007. (photo by James Brittain, Jr.)
- J.J. Howell appears as Publisher of "The Cuthbert Leader" 1906.
Appears in the 1920 US Census living with his sister Rosa and his aunt Mary E. Heard.
Notes from Randolph County Georgia Vol I.:
"The Leader was begun by J.N. Stanford on April 16, 1891 and Mr. Stanford sold The Leader to Jr. J.J. Howell and Fletcher Pearson prior to 1899. Mr. Howell assumed editorship..Mr. J.J. Howell was both editor and proprietor by Jan 2, 1902. The name of the paper was changed to "The Cuthbert Leader" on Jan. 25, 1906."
"Between 1930 and 1933 J.K. Simmons & Sons was listed as publisher. On January 7, 1937 Mr. E.L. Howell was listed as editor and manager, and Mr. Henry Howell was associate editor and continued as such through 1938."
Microfilm copies of many of the issues of The Leader, The Cuthbert Leader, and The Cuthbert Times are available in the reference section of the Pitts Library of Andrew College, 413 College St., Cuthbert, GA
Forty-four Families notes: "JOHN JOHNSON HOWELL, was born April 29,1863, and died, unmarried, August 11,1931, in Georgia. He edited "The Cuthbert
Leader" in Cuthbert, Georgia. [13, 14, 15]
- #148 Randolph Street. Head of household, age 56, b. Georgia, parents b. Georgia, editor of local paper.
- [S2] JSH Feb 13 2003 gedcom, John S. Howell, Jr.
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ email@example.com).
- [S725] Charles Perrin, Charles Perrin, (http://www.sneakers.pair.com/roots/index.html), http://www.sneakers.pair.com/roots/b97.htm#P5714 (Reliability: 3).
- [S24] Cloptonfamily.org, (The Clopton Family Association - http://www.cloptonfamily.org/amerline/), Cloptonfamily.org (Reliability: 3).
- [S671] 1880 U.S. Census, GA, Greene Co., District 35 Age 17 (Reliability: 0).
- [S690] 1870 U.S. Census, Village White Plains, Greene Co., GA, Penfield post office, enumerated 9 Aug 1870, Page 8., dwelling 77 "Howel, Jno. age 37, m, w, farmer, value 500, 200, all born Georgia; Emma, age 29, f, w.; Percy, age 9, Jno, age 7; Henry, age 4, Birtha, age 1" (Reliability: 0).
- [S826] 1920 US Census, Georgia, Randolph, Cuthbert, District 65, Sheet A, #148 Randolph Street. "John J. Howell", Head of household, age 56, b. Georgia, parents b. Georgia, editor of local paper. (Reliability: 0).
- [S1347] Clopton Ancestors by Lucy Lane Erwin, Lucy Lane Erwin, (c 1939), p. 197 (Reliability: 0).
- [S691] Lisa Mapp, Lisa Mapp, (Manuscript received via email 5 May, 2003) (Reliability: 3).
- [S696] White Plains Baptist Church Cemetery - gravestone photo, Plot P2 - b. April xx, xxxx d.Aug 11, 1931 - (dates could probably be revealed with cleaning) (Reliability: 3).
- [S696] White Plains Baptist Church Cemetery - gravestone photo (Reliability: 4).
- [S1323] Weekly Chronicle & Sentinel, Augusta - October 16, 1861; (from footnote# 26 pages 81-85 "How Curious A Land") (Reliability: 0).
- [S725] Charles Perrin, Charles Perrin, (http://www.sneakers.pair.com/roots/index.html).
- [S1111] Cuthbert Leader, John Johnson Howell, editor, (1906. Copy on file in the Pitts Library, Andrew College, Cuthbert, GA), http://voyager.andrewcollege.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=1&ti=1,1&Search_Arg=howell&Search_Code=FT*&SL=None&PID=466&CNT=10&SEQ=20050118171809&SID=1 (Reliability: 0).
- [S1685] Forty-Four Families, Florence Howell Pollard, (This book is a history of the Pollard Family researched and written by Florence Howell Pollard, wife of Clarence Owens Pollard. Published circa 1975), p. 104 (Reliability: 3).