1890 - 1965 (75 years)
||Harold Doran Davison [4, 5, 6, 7] |
||"Budd / Skipper" |
||15 Aug 1890 [7, 8]
||Owner Welland Electric Steel, Co. Welland, ON Canada |
||21 Aug 1965 
||25 Mar 2011 |
||Edward Doran "Ned" Davison, Jr., b. 15 Apr 1845, Mill Village, Queens Co., NS , d. 17 Jul 1902, Bridgewater, New Dublin Twp., Lunenburg Co., Nova Scotia, Canada (Age 57 years) |
||Margaret A. Robertson, b. 24 Oct 1867, St. John, New Brunswick, Canada , d. 18 Dec 1895, Boston, MA (Age 28 years) |
||27 Jan 1887 
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Margaret Helen Hastings, b. Nov 1891, prob. Pittsburgh, PA , d. Apr 1925 (Age ~ 33 years) |
||Boston, MA [7, 10, 11]
- Conversation notes with Margaret Helen Davison Lathrop:
"She was the true love of his life - Helen Hastings and Harold eloped to Boston and were married at the Copley Plaza in 1914"
Notes from Hal Lathrop:
When the Davison Lumber company was sold [in 1902] it was purchased by a company associated with Helen Hastings' family.
Ralph Burgoyne notes in an article in the Bridgewater Bulletin, April 8, 1981:
"The Mill, the largest ever in Nova Scotia, was built by an American Company headed by John Hastings of Michingan in 1902. They bought out E.D. Davison & Sons lumber business and operated under the name Davison Lumber Company. They built the mill across the lake from Springfield and named the place Hastings, after John Hastings."
So, Harold "Skipper" Doran Davison was 12 years old at the time E. D. Davison and Sons was purchased by John Hastings in 1902. John Hastings would become Harold Davison's father-in-law in 1914 - 12 years later. 
||2 Mar 2006 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Marjory Muriel Stern, b. 11 Jul 1892, d. 16 Dec 1978 (Age 86 years) |
||15 Jun 1933 [7, 13]
- Hallie Howell recalled that she and her husband Ned Howell met Marjorie and Budd around 1956.
||21 Aug 2005 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
L to R: Edward Sumner Davison, Harold (Budd) Doran Davison. (Most likely a staged photo, as the boys were not lumberjacks!) Circa 1900 and about the time the E. D. Davison & Sons lumber company was sold. 7 1/2" x 5 1/2 photo from Hal Lathrop who has the only originals (2007). Identification by Hal Lathrop and Margaret Helen Davison Lathrop.
||Davison Cousins - 1934 Group Photo|
(hover mouse over person to see name, click for more details) Hal Lathrop notes: "From a small 5 1/2 x 3 1/4 photo. Very yellowed! Taken to the right of the porch at aunt Lou and Allie's Red Top [in Bridgewater, NS]. Mum puts her age at 18 - therefore Hal is 16. The picture can then be dated summer of 1934." Individuals identified by Margaret Helen Lathrop in 2007. Hal Lathrop Collection.
||Harold Doran Davison|
1934 photo. Identified by Margaret Helen Lathrop in 2007. Hal Lathrop Collection.
- Stuart Davison notes - June 2004:
"Uncle Bud in the early 50's built a summer home at the Point. he had two children by his first wife Helen Hastings - Harold Hastings (who died early in the second world war ) and Margaret Helen.
Hal Lathrop notes - Aug 2004, Sept 2007:
On why Budd is called "Skipper" by his grandchildren: "As children we kept saying "Bug" instead of "Budd", so he asked us to call him something else - anything else. We liked sailing with him so he suggested "Skipper" - and we agreed.
"Attended St. Andrews College, Aurora, Ontario"
"He worked on the Welland Canal."
J. Spencer Howell notes:
"Owned Welmet Co. (Welland Electric Steel Co) that made valves out of stainless steel in Welland, ON."
"Uncle Budd went to great lengths to convince children Santa was real. He made deer prints (and more!) in the snow on the roof."
"It was Uncle Budd and his brother Ned that sponsored my father (John Edward Howell) to come to North America in a cattle boat."
"Uncle Budd is 1/2 brother to my grandmother Nellie Davison."
Appears in the 1901 census of Canada: Davison, Harold D, b. 15 Aug 1890, age 10.
Appears in the 1911 census of Canada: Davison, Harold, nephew, age 20, living in the household of his uncle Frank Davison. [14, 15, 16]
- [S2] JSH Feb 13 2003 gedcom, John S. Howell, Jr.
- [S192] J Spencer Howell - Interviews with JSHJr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (Personal interviews with Dad.).
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org).
- [S768] Betty (Parker) Wolfe, Betty (Parker) Wolfe, (2632 63rd Avenue South West, Calgary, AB T3E 5J7), p1 (Reliability: 3).
- [S769] DesBrisay Museum Nicolas Davison Tree, Author unknown, (Two page tree, typed.), IMG_00037.jpg (Reliability: 3).
- [S957] Stuart Davison, (correspondence with John S. Howell, Jr.), 4 Jun 2004 email to JSHJr - Middle name is "Doran" (Reliability: 0).
- [S1210] Charles Donald Davison's Tree, Charles Donald Davison, (Copy of tree provided to John Howell by Stuart Davison upon our visit at his home on 23 Jul 2005.), Section "D" (Reliability: 0).
- [S1284] 1911 Canadian Census, "Harold Davison, male, single, age 20, b. Nova Scotia, Nephew, English, Lunenburg dist 49 Bridgewater East, page 6" (Reliability: 0).
- [S768] Betty (Parker) Wolfe, Betty (Parker) Wolfe, (2632 63rd Avenue South West, Calgary, AB T3E 5J7), p2 (Reliability: 3).
- [S1218] Hal Lathrop, (Welland, Ontario, Canada), 20 Aug 2005 (Reliability: 0).
- [S1292] Margaret Helen Davison Lathrop, Tel conv. 6 Feb 2006 - eloped to Boston, married at the Copley Plaza in 1914 (Reliability: 0).
- [S1292] Margaret Helen Davison Lathrop, Telephone conv. 6 Feb 2006 - eloped to Boston - Copley Plaza 1914 (Reliability: 0).
- [S788] Hallie Howell.
- [S957] Stuart Davison, (correspondence with John S. Howell, Jr.), 4 Jun 2004 email to JSH. (Reliability: 0).
- [S1218] Hal Lathrop, (Welland, Ontario, Canada), Telephone conv. 20 Aug 2005 (Reliability: 0).
- [S1231] 1901 Census of Canada, (http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02012202_e.html
Index and images also online at AutomatedGenealogy.com), " Davison, Harold D, b. 15 Aug 1890, age 10" (Reliability: 0).