1891 - 1925 (~ 33 years)
||Margaret Helen Hastings [4, 5, 6, 7, 8] |
||prob. Pittsburgh, PA [6, 7, 9]
||13 Jun 1900
||Pittsubrgh, Allegheny, PA 
|McPherson Street |
||Apr 1925 
||prob. Pittsburgh, PA 
||23 Aug 2010 |
||Harold Doran Davison, "Budd / Skipper", b. 15 Aug 1890, d. 21 Aug 1965 (Age 75 years) |
||Boston, MA [5, 12, 13]
- Conversation notes with Margaret Helen Davison Lathrop:
"She was the true love of his life - Helen Hastings and Harold eloped to Boston and were married at the Copley Plaza in 1914"
Notes from Hal Lathrop:
When the Davison Lumber company was sold [in 1902] it was purchased by a company associated with Helen Hastings' family.
Ralph Burgoyne notes in an article in the Bridgewater Bulletin, April 8, 1981:
"The Mill, the largest ever in Nova Scotia, was built by an American Company headed by John Hastings of Michingan in 1902. They bought out E.D. Davison & Sons lumber business and operated under the name Davison Lumber Company. They built the mill across the lake from Springfield and named the place Hastings, after John Hastings."
So, Harold "Skipper" Doran Davison was 12 years old at the time E. D. Davison and Sons was purchased by John Hastings in 1902. John Hastings would become Harold Davison's father-in-law in 1914 - 12 years later. 
||2 Mar 2006 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Davison Lumber Mill at Hastings - John Hastings was Helen's father.|
As you read this article please remember that the Davison Lumber Mill at Hastings was of course built after the death of E.D. Davison, Sr., and after his sons sold the company their father founded to John M. Hastings. Hastings renamed the company Davison Lumber Company. Another point, interesting to us but unmentioned in the article, is that Helen Hastings, the daughter of John Hastings, married Harold Doran "Budd" Davison in 1914 - Budd is the son of E.D. Davison, Jr.
||Sale of E. D. Davison & Sons|
June 23, 1903 Letter to the customers of E.D. Davison & Sons announcing the sale of the company to J.M. Hastings. (J.M. Hatings is Helen Hastings father)
||John M. Hastings - obituary|
Obit from Pittsburgh Press, p9, Aug 1, 1930
||A Great Industry (Davison Lumber Company) |
An account of the Davison Lumber Company operations during the period after it was sold by E.D. Davison & Sons - (the new company was renamed the "Davison Lumer Company, Limited".) Supmitted by Rev. Dr. Morton and published in the Halifax Herald. Includes excerpts from the Bridgewater Bulletin, September 25, 1906
- From a conversation with Margaret Helen Davison Lathrop:
"My brohter and I never really got to know her due to her illness. She had brain cancer, was bedridden for several years at home from an operation, after which she was never really the same. She died in 1925 at about age 32 at home." 
- [S2] JSH Feb 13 2003 gedcom, John S. Howell, Jr.
- [S192] J Spencer Howell - Interviews with JSHJr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (Personal interviews with Dad.).
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org).
- [S957] Stuart Davison, (correspondence with John S. Howell, Jr.), 4 Jun 2004 email to JSHJr (Reliability: 0).
- [S1210] Charles Donald Davison's Tree, Charles Donald Davison, (Copy of tree provided to John Howell by Stuart Davison upon our visit at his home on 23 Jul 2005.), Section "D" (Reliability: 0).
- [S864] 1900 U.S. Census, "Helen, daughter, b. Nov. 1891, age 8, b. PA, parents b. PA, PA, At School" - Allegheny, Pittsburgh Ward 21, District 256, McPherson Street (Reliability: 0).
- [S695] 1910 U.S. Census, Miracode Index 1910 Census "District 0412, Allegheny, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Daughter, Helen Hastings, age 18, born Pennsylvania" (Reliability: 0).
- [S1596] John M. Hastings obit, Pittsburgh Press, (1 Aug 1930, p. 9), "Miss Margaret Helen Hastings" (Reliability: 0).
- [S1292] Margaret Helen Davison Lathrop, "died April 1925 at about age 32" (Reliability: 0).
- [S1292] Margaret Helen Davison Lathrop, Telephone 6 Feb 2006, b. probably Pittsburgh in either the family plot of her mother or father. (Reliability: 0).
- [S1479] Philip Spencer, Philip Spencer, (http://users.eastlink.ca/~pspencer/nsaeta/davison.html), email to JSH 24 March 2011 (Reliability: 0).
- [S1218] Hal Lathrop, (Welland, Ontario, Canada), 20 Aug 2005 (Reliability: 0).
- [S1292] Margaret Helen Davison Lathrop, Tel conv. 6 Feb 2006 - eloped to Boston, married at the Copley Plaza in 1914 (Reliability: 0).
- [S1292] Margaret Helen Davison Lathrop, Telephone conv. 6 Feb 2006 - eloped to Boston - Copley Plaza 1914 (Reliability: 0).
- [S1292] Margaret Helen Davison Lathrop, 6 Feb 2006 - Telephone conv. w. JSH (Reliability: 0).