1786 - 1856 (70 years)
||1850 Census - McKinney Howell family|
Household consists of McKinney Howell (age 69), his wife Mary Johnson Howell (age 64). Living with them are McKinney's sister-in-law, Sara Howell (age 35), and her two children Samuel A. Howell (age 17, student), and Mary J. Howell (age 16). Also enumerated is an H?. Reynolds (age 25, farmer). Enumerated 26 Sep 1850, Greene Co. Georgia District 144, Roll 71, Page 106.
||1820 Census - Hanckock Co., GA p. 102|
Parts of Hancock Co. came from what was previously Greene co.
McKinney Howell family: "Mckinny Howell" household consists of 2 males 10-16, 1 male 16-26, 1 male 26-45, 1 female under 10, 1 female 26-45, 6 slaves.
The age ranges in the census match the ages of the family as we know them as follows: Matthew C. Howell would be ~13 and John J. Howell would be ~10, McKinney would be ~39, Mary Johnson would be 34. The unidentified household members are the female under 10 and the male 16-26.
||McKinney Howell Will Transcript|
Named beneficiary in McKinney Howell's will
||Lundie W Barlow's Howell File|
Letter from Lundie W. Barlow describing the Howell line starting with Matthew Howell of Isle of Wight County, Virginia who died 1720, to McKinne Howell of Halifax County, North Carolina. Total includes 19 pages of transcribed letters, deeds and will abstracts and notes. From Sidney Howell's collection provided by Jim Brittain, Jr. Sections for surnames: Cavanah, Johnson, Howell,
||Mary Johnson [4, 5, 6, 7, 8] |
||White Plains, Greene County, GA [9, 10]
||26 Nov 1856
||5 Feb 2017 |
||John Johnson, RS, b. 9 May 1750, Prob. NC , d. 30 Dec 1814, White Plains, Greene County, GA (Age 64 years) |
||Elizabeth Ashfield, d. Aft 10 May 1830, White Plains, Greene County, GA |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||McKinney Howell, b. 1781, Halifax County, NC , d. 1856, White Plains, Greene County, GA (Age 75 years) |
| ||1. Mary Howell|
|+||2. Matthew Cavenah Howell, b. 20 Dec 1807, Greene Co., GA , d. 15 Aug 1834, Taliaferro County, GA (Age 26 years)|
|+||3. John Johnson Howell, b. 25 Dec 1810, White Plains, Greene County, GA , d. 19 Jan 1858 (Age 47 years)|
||30 Sep 2009 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
|Born - 1786 - White Plains, Greene County, GA
- LBSH chart notes:
"She was the daughter of John Johnson, a Rev. Soldier Hancock, Georgia between Sparta and White Plains."
"Forty-four Families" notes:
"McKinney Howell, father of John Johnson Howell, was born in 1781, in
Halifax County, North Carolina. He died in White Plains in 1852. His wife,
Mary "Polly" Johnson, was born in 1783, in Wilkes County, Georgia, and
died in White Plains, Georgia. (The story is told that she rode side-saddle under a tree hanging with scuppernongs. She stood up on her saddle and picked the fruit, taking it home in her frock to make jelly.)" [12, 13]
- [S2] JSH Feb 13 2003 gedcom, John S. Howell, Jr.
- [S739] Kate (Lloyd) Morley, Kate (Lloyd) Morley, (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=REG&db=klloyd77. katie [email@example.com]).
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org).
- [S735] Memoirs of GA V2, (1895, Atlanta, Georgia: Southern Historical Association.), p 511-512 (Reliability: 3).
McKinney Howell came to Georgia with 4 of his brothers from North Carolina and was the only brother to remain in Georgia and was of the earliest settlers of Greene County. His wife was Mary Johnson.
- [S689] 1850 U.S. Census, of Greene County, Georgia. District 144, Roll 71, Page 106 (Reliability: 3).
Lists: McKinney Howell (69), Mary Howell (64), Mary J. Howell (16), ?Daniel? Howell (17), ?Harmon? Reynolds (24), Sarah Howell (35).
- [S1333] Betty Howell Traver, Elizabeth (Howell) Traver, "Polly" Telephone 19 Mar 2006 (Reliability: 0).
- [S1408] McKinney Howell's Will Transcript, Sidney Howell, (Copied by Sidney Howell 7 Sept 1972 (A.S. Howell collection courtesy of Jim Brittain, Jr.)), Named beneficiary (Reliability: 0).
- [S1435] Havilah Howell Mapp - Brief Record of Ancestral History, Havilah Howell Mapp of White Plains, Georgia, (L. Barlow's extracts - a copy of the original in the posession of Mrs. Henry Reid, Athens, Georgia).
- [S689] 1850 U.S. Census, Age 64 "Mary Howell" - Greene County Census, GA, District 144, Roll 71, Page 106. - http://www.rootsweb.com/~cenfiles/ga/greene/1850/Pg00104.txt (Reliability: 0).
- [S1338] LBSH Chart, Lundie Barlow - Sidney Howell - Havila Howell Chart, (A photocopy of a handwritten document given to John S. Howell, Jr. by Elizabeth Howell Traver.), "b. 1783" (Reliability: 0).
- [S1659] US Marriage Records, 1560-1900, ([database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.) (Reliability: 0).
Name: Elizabeth Ashfield
Spouse Name: John Johnson
Spouse Birth Year: 1750
Marriage State: of GA
Number Pages: 1
- [S1338] LBSH Chart, Lundie Barlow - Sidney Howell - Havila Howell Chart, (A photocopy of a handwritten document given to John S. Howell, Jr. by Elizabeth Howell Traver.).
- [S1685] Forty-Four Families, Florence Howell Pollard, (This book is a history of the Pollard Family researched and written by Florence Howell Pollard, wife of Clarence Owens Pollard. Published circa 1975), p. 108 (Reliability: 3).