1833 - 1871 (38 years)
||S.C. Spring Column And Cornice 8-day Weight Clock|
This heirloom made cir. 1864 belonging to Peter Stone Howell, has penciled service notations inside such as "3.10.1892 - Cleaned, Mrs. Spencer Stone" (Flora Maude Campbell Stone 1872-1969). Another notation refers to just "Mrs. Spencer" - likely referring to Betsy Cherry (1908-1893) who married William Spencer (1804-1846). Betsy Cherry Spencer outlived her daughter Adelaide Spencer and raised her grandson, Spencer Stone from age 2.
Clock information: Regulator Strike, Extra Eight Day, Rolling Pinton, Brass Clocks, Manufactured by
S.C. Spring, Bristol Conn "Warranted if well used."
Solomon C. Spring was born on January 29th, 1826 in Granby, Connecticut. Early in his life, he was employed in the clock shop of Silas Burnham Terry. Spring then moved to Bristol, Connecticut where he worked as a clockmaker for the Rev. Irenus Atkins owner of the Atkins Clock Company. In 1864, at the age of 38, he bought the land and buildings of the old Birge, Peck and Company (clock makers) in Bristol and renamed it the S.C. SPRING CLOCK COMPANY. The company never issued a catalogue so its hard to know how many styles they made. Most of their clocks were sold to other clock manufacturers, so to find one with the S.C. Spring label in the case is a wonderful "find" indeed !!! Spring retired in 1895 and died in 1906 after producing some excellent and very attractive clocks.
||Stone family headstone|
Adelaide wife of Thomas Stone died March 9 1871 aged 38 years and 17 days. Thomas Stone born February 2 1827 died October 17 1899.
||Stone Family monument|
Stone Family monument in "Ward B", Maple Leaf Cemetery, Chatham, ON. Chatham-Kent Cemeteries notes "Location - Look for the large granite monument along the road with a huge statue on top. (Moore). This stone is a short distance toward the creek from there."
||Adelaide Spencer [5, 6, 7] |
||20 Feb 1833
||Belleville, ON, Canada 
||22 Feb 1833 
||Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada 
||9 Mar 1871 
||Maple Leaf Cemetery, Chatham, Ontario [9, 11]
||30 Sep 2009 |
||William Spencer, b. Abt 1804, Matlock, Derbyshire, England , d. Sep 1846, Chatham, Ontario (Age ~ 42 years) |
||Betsy Cherry, b. 22 Apr 1808, New Haven, Oswego County, N.Y. , d. 7 Aug 1893, Chatham, Ontario (Age 85 years) |
||Belleville, ON, Canada [8, 12, 13]
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Thomas Stone, b. 2 Feb 1827, Brockville, Elizabethtown Township, Leeds County, Upper Canada , d. 17 Oct 1899, his residence 277 Queen St. Chatham, Ontario (Age 72 years) |
||23 Jun 1857
||Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada
- At the residence of the Bride's mother by the Rev. A. McCall, Chatham. 
| ||1. William Spencer Stone, b. 26 Jun 1858, d. 26 Oct 1867 (Age 9 years)|
| ||2. Mary Elizabeth Stone, b. 14 Aug 1859, Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada , d. 16 Dec 1860 (Age 1 years)|
| ||3. Margaret Stone, b. 11 Oct 1861, Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada , d. 2 Jan 1958 (Age 96 years)|
| ||4. John Stone, b. 26 Feb 1863, Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada , d. 18 Oct 1875 (Age 12 years)|
|+||5. Frederick Stone, b. 27 Feb 1865, d. 1940 (Age 74 years)|
|+||6. Adelaide Stone, b. 29 Jan 1868, d. 1955 (Age 86 years)|
|+||7. Spencer Stone, "Pen", b. 24 Jul 1869, Chatham, Ontario , d. 11 Aug 1939, Water Crest Lane, Cedar Springs, Ontario, Canada (Age 70 years)|
| ||8. Elizabeth Stone, b. 25 Feb 1871, d. 21 May 1871 (Age 0 years)|
||30 Sep 2009 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
|Alt. Birth - 20 Feb 1833 - Belleville, ON, Canada
|Married - 23 Jun 1857 - Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada
|Census - 1871 - Chatham, Kent County, Ontario, Canada
|Buried - - Maple Leaf Cemetery, Chatham, Ontario
- Died at age 38. Maybe in childbirth with Elizabeth Stone?
Mabye callled Bettsie or Betsy by her family. But many family references to Betsy may be to Betsy Cherry because B. Cherry outlived Adelaide by 22 years, lived in her husbands home for many years, and raised many of her children.
Cycopedia of Canadian biography notes on p 687:
"He [Thomas Stone] next married Adelaide Spencer in June, 1857, by whom four sons and four daughters were born. She died on the 6th March, 1871"
- [S2] JSH Feb 13 2003 gedcom, John S. Howell, Jr.
- [S643] 1871 Canadian Census (Reliability: 3).
Federal Census of 1871 (Ontario Index)
STONE , ADILEAD
Religion: Wesleyan Methodist
District: KENT ( 002 )
Sub-district: Chatham Town ( G )
Note: Schedule Two: deaths in the preceding twelve months ending 2 April 1871
Microfilm reel: C-9892
Reference: RG31 — Statistics Canada
- [S468] Darcy McKeough, W. Darcy McKeough, Letter to Ned D. Howell Jan 18, 1994 (Reliability: 3).
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ email@example.com).
- [S468] Darcy McKeough, W. Darcy McKeough, 9-5-D1 (Reliability: 3).
- [S659] Bradfield, John R. Bradfield, (May 1979 -- http://www.jhowell.com/pics/JRBradfieldDelanoLine.pdf).
- [S468] Darcy McKeough, W. Darcy McKeough, Chart pages included with letter to John S. Howell, Jr. dated 25 Feb, 2003. (Reliability: 3).
- [S791] Maggie Stone's Delano to Stone History, Margaret Stone (1851-1958), (Aug. 1931 http://www.jhowell.com/pics/LannoyByMargaretStoneLowRes.pdf).
- [S468] Darcy McKeough, W. Darcy McKeough, 9-5-d1 (Reliability: 3).
- [S622] 1881 Canadian Census, (1881).
- [S967] OCFA - Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid, (Copyright (C), 2000 Ron Demaray.
http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/about.html), STONE Adelaide Maple Leaf, Chatham Kent Chatham KT- (Reliability: 0).
- [S653] Elayne Pair Gibbons, Elayne Pair Gibbons, (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&db=egibbons&surname=Cherry%2C+Stephen - firstname.lastname@example.org), http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=egibbons&id=I30203 (Reliability: 3).
- [S1417] Nellie Smith Rymal, Nellie Smith Rymal, (Placerville, CA 1940 - copies provided by Cherry Dolezal), 1940 letter notes: "Betsy, married a Wm. Spencer and lived in Chatham, Canada when last known of. I thiink it was her home where Grandpa died, but he was buried in New Lisbon, Wis." (Reliability: 0).
- [S468] Darcy McKeough, W. Darcy McKeough, Letter to JSHJr dated Sep 24, 2004 with Stone Tree draft (Reliability: 0).
- [S1457] Cyclopedia of Canadian biography - 1899, Geo. MacLean Rose, (Rose Publishing Company, Toronto, 1886), p.687 (Reliability: 0).