1907 - 1991 (83 years)
||Emily Fairfax Coolidge  |
||13 Oct 1907
||Boston, Suffolk Co., MA [5, 6]
||New York, NY 
|Development executive, Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) |
||5 Jun 1991
||Manhattan, New York, NY [5, 6]
||Saint Matthews Episcopal Churchyard, Bedford, New York 
||5 Jul 2021 |
||Harold Jefferson Coolidge, b. 22 Jan 1870, France d. 31 Jul 1934, Squam Lake, Grafton Co., NH (Age 64 years) |
||Edith Lawrence, b. 10 Nov 1879, Boston, Suffolk Co., MA d. 10 Apr 1975, Beverly, Essex, Massachusetts, USA (Age 95 years) |
||19 Feb 1903
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Thomas Archibald Stone, b. 12 Dec 1900, Chatham, Kent, Ontario, Canada d. 26 Jul 1965, Recloses, Departement de Seine-et-Marne, Île-de-France, France (Age 64 years) |
||17 Nov 1962 
||Stone - Woodruff marriage|
The Gazette, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 22 Nov 1962, Thu • Page 19
Stone-Woodruff The marriage of Mrs. Emily Coolidge Woodruff, of New York and Bedford Village, N.Y., widow of the late Harry A. Woodruff, of New York, and daughter of Mrs. Sherman Miles, of Beverly, Mass., and of the late Harold Jefferson Coolidge, to Mr. Thomas A. Stone, of New York and Mount Pleasant, S.C., took place on Saturday, at twelve o'clock noon, in St. Matthew's Church, Bedford Village, N.Y., the Rev. John Harper officiating, assisted by Rev. Ter-rence Finlay, of N.Y. : The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr. Harold Jefferson Coolidge, of Washington, D.C., was attended by her daughter, Mrs. Kenneth Kunhardt, of Hamilton, Mass., as matron of honor. Mr. Newbold Noyes, Jr., acted as best man for his step-father. Mr. Stone was for many years in the Canadian Department of External Affairs and held posts in Washington, Ottawa, London, Paris, and Stockholm. His last post was ' Canadian Ambassador to The Netherlands at The Hague until 1959.
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||18 Jul 2017 |
- J. Spencer Howell & Peter Howell note: She is from the well known Coolidge family and related to Benjamin Franklin. She has a letter written by Ben Franklin to his granddaughter giving her advice on growing up. (*not* of the Calvin Coolidge line!)
In the late 1920s, three progressive and influential patrons of the arts, Miss Lillie P. Bliss, Mrs. Cornelius J. Sullivan, and Mrs. John D. Rockefeller, Jr., perceived a need to challenge the conservative policies of traditional museums and to establish an institution devoted exclusively to modern art. When The Museum of Modern Art was founded in 1929, its founding Director, Alfred H. Barr, Jr., intended the Museum to be dedicated to helping people understand and enjoy the visual arts of our time, and that it might provide New York with "the greatest museum of modern art in the world."
New York Times obituary published: Saturday, June 8, 1991:
"Emily C. Stone, Museum Official, 83 - Emily Coolidge Stone, a former director of membership at the Museum of Modern Art, died on Wednesday at her home in Manhattan. She was 83 years old. She died after a stroke, her daughter said. Before joining the museum in 1947 she was a research assistant for the Office of Strategic Services. Mrs. Stone, who attended Radcliffe College, was a director of the France-America Society and a member of the Museum of Modern Art International Council and the International Council of Museums. A widow, she is survived by her daughter, Edith Woodruff Kunhardt of Manhattan, four grandchildren and four great-granchildren." [6, 8, 9, 10]
- [S2] John S. Howell, Jr., JSH Feb 13 2003 gedcom.
- [S192] John Spencer Howell, Jr., J Spencer Howell - Interviews with JSHJr., (Personal interviews with Dad.).
- [S1125] Emily Campbell Price, Emily Campbell Price, (Manuscript. 71 pp. Extensive research. Includes maps and transcripts of letters describing family relationships. 10 original copies produced and circulated by the author in 1970. PDF copy available at jhowell.com.), p.20 "m3 Emily Coolidge".
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org).
- [S1713] Ott and Related Families, https://www.ourfamtree.org/browse.php?fid=381187.
- [S1290] New York Times, Obituary appeared in print on Saturday, June 8, 1991, on section 1 page 28 of the New York edition.
- [S1656] Findagrave.com, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/209068791/emily-coolidge-stone.
- [S1101] Peter Howell, Peter Howell, Discussion with JSHJr 20 June, 2005.
- [S192] John Spencer Howell, Jr., J Spencer Howell - Interviews with JSHJr., (Personal interviews with Dad.), Discussion with JSHJr 20 June, 2005.
- [S1202] Lee Johnson Howell, Discussion with JSHJr 20 June, 2005.