John & Susan Howell
Family Trees

Home Page  |  What's New  |  Photos  |  Histories  |  Headstones  |  Reports  |  Surnames
First Name:

Last Name:

Col. William Fassitt[1]

Male - Yes, date unknown

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name William Fassitt  [2, 3
    Prefix Col. 
    Gender Male 
    Lived in Worcester Co., MD Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Carmel Plantation 
    Died Yes, date unknown 
    Person ID I2260  Main
    Last Modified 30 Sep 2009 

    Family Mary Rouse,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    +1. Mary Fassitt,   b. Abt 1699,   d. 1770  (Age ~ 71 years)
     2. Rouse Fassitt,   d. Yes, date unknown
    Last Modified 30 Sep 2009 
    Family ID F936  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsLived in - Carmel Plantation - - Worcester Co., MD Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 

  • Notes 
    • From 'Worcester County, Maryland's Arcadia' (with photo of Fassitt House):


      "In the days when names were flexible Fassett, Fawsett, Fausett, Fossitt, Fosett, Fassit and Fassitt appeared in the records in England and the Colony.  Capt. William Fassitt of nearby Carmel Plantation, prominent in founding the family in Maryland, used Fassitt and it became a fixture.  Fassitt House overlooks Sinepuxent Bay.  It was built by Capt. Fassitt for his daughter Mary as a wedding present upon her marriage to Southey Wittington [jsh - note spelling], C. 1717.  The Wittington's later sold the devise to Rouse, Mary's brother and neighbor on the Gosehn-Mayfield tract."

      "Rather than a myth, it is a fact that a British warship entered Sinepuxent Inlet, during the War of 1812, and caused consternation along the tributary bays.  Fassitt House, like Mt. Ephraim and others, exerienced intense fear, and when the bombardment started the family evacuated the premises, and in so doing, they buried the family silver a a secure point removed from the house.  It was not recovered.  This story of buried silver has prompted exploratory digging in search of the treasure-trove in this century.  This home remained in the Fassitt family until Julia Ann married Edward Lee Carey, 1863, grandfather of the late Lee Carey, husband of Margaret Rogers, present owner and occupant of enchanting Fassitt House."

      "This four dormer building is forty by twnety-four feet, and is one and a half stories high.  Its exagggerated 'glazed diapering and diamond pattern' of brickwork is held to be the most interesting of its type in the State, if not in the Nation.  Originally there were large chimneys at both ends providing ample fireplaces in both dining room and great room, that in the former was being placed cater-cornered.  It was closed over when  its chimney was removed during renovation in more recent years.  Unusual and highhly practical was an outside fireplace in the south end chimney since in colonial days home butchering required volumes of boiling water and a cauldron was needed to try up cracklings, pork rind and waste fat with caustic oak ash to make household soap.  Another prominent feature of the house is the carved end boards to the roof cornice.  The hall passes through the middle of the building.  Its front entrance door is panelled on the outside and has diagonal batons on its interior.  The great room, sixteen by twenty-two feet, one side, early Georgian panelled to the ceiling, has a large fireplace in the east end off which are narrow and very interesting fluted upright architectural members that extend to the trim of the floor.  There is a wall of Troy molding in the cornice and double dogear finish at the end of the windows and the door.  Off the front entrance an open space leads to a right angle stairway, also of old pine, on which the step-end and the newels with the "duck" or "S" heads are distinctive.  A parlor chamber and two other bedrooms are on the second floor." [4]

  • Sources 
    1. [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (

    2. [S715] Barbara Cox - GHOTES web site, Barbara Cox, (December 2001).

    3. [S984] Worcester County Maryland's Arcadia, Dr. Reginald V. Truitt and Dr. Millard G. Les Callette, (Worcester County Historical Society, Snow Hill, MD 1977), p. 190.

    4. [S984] Worcester County Maryland's Arcadia, Dr. Reginald V. Truitt and Dr. Millard G. Les Callette, (Worcester County Historical Society, Snow Hill, MD 1977), p. 190-191.